Surface Area - Gallery/Retail Assistant
We are seeking a Gallery/Retail Assistant to help coordinate merchandising, logistics/operations, client services and events for Surface Area, a curated art gallery, retail showroom, and activation space in the Miami Design District this month.
Surface Area will bring the pages of Surface to life in an experiential, physical setting. By day, our on-site team of editors and creatives will produce specialized photo, video, audio, and written digital content: styling products alongside collectible art, furniture and design objects. By night, we will transform the space into a venue for live programming, panels, cocktail receptions, dinners, parties, and more.
The person must be based in Miami, Florida. This position will require some evening & weekend work.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Gallery Assistant will provide support on events, installs and marketing activities. They serve as the ‘face of the gallery’ greeting visitors, artists and VIP guests as they enter the space and interact with art and products. The Gallery Assistant will also manage the digital materials of the gallery, including but not limited to inventory systems, gallery catalogs, images, and more.
Who You Are:
The role entails high visibility internally and externally with clients, partners, and vendors. You should be a highly motivated, extremely organized, polished individual who can lead a team of vendors and work alongside other departments to deliver best-in-class physical experiences. Marketing and PR experience is a huge plus. Finally, it should be someone who is passionate about design with an appreciation and understanding of architecture, art, fashion, travel and luxury.
Who We Are:
For nearly 30 years, the global design industry has looked to Surface as the trusted resource that sits at the intersection of creative disciplines. We believe the power of design shapes the world around us. Through incisive writing, engaging visuals, and an emphasis on process and craftsmanship, the Surface brand inspires, informs, and entertains readers while pointing them to the next big ideas in global design—Surface remains a bastion of taste, talent, and trust.
- Create an engaging customer experience that focuses on building relationships through the connection and relation of our brand and brand values
- Partner with internal executive, editorial and sales teams to conceptualize the vision and concept of the space
- Serve as a friendly and helpful associate who is knowledgeable about the gallery, its mission, program and artists
- Assist with in-store merchandising and retail displays
- Receive and organize shipments and packages
- Handling client calls, visits and follow ups
- Assist with the on-site execution of events and activations
- Be a critical thinker, problem solver and work well under pressure, proactively identifying potential challenges or barriers to execution, and delivering solutions prior to impact/delay
- 2-5+ years' experience in hands-on event / pop-up production
- Possess a creative mindset and eye to bring the creative vision to life in an effective, engaging experience
- Strong project management and timeline development skills
- Understanding and experience with PR / marketing
- Ability to handle constant change, fast-paced environments, and accelerated production schedules with professional attitude and composure
- Ability to work non-traditional hours (nights/weekends) as needed
- Excellent work ethics and driving passion for achieving best-in-class experiences
- Collaborative team player, working well with others across key agency departments and leaders
- Have a positive attitude, be self-motivated and disciplined, enthusiastic, and responsible
- Effective communicator with client facing experience
- Experience dealing with permits, contracts and regulations is strongly preferred
Surface covers the worlds of architecture, art, design, fashion, and travel, with a focus on how these fields shape and are shaped by contemporary culture. Through incisive writing, engaging visuals, and an emphasis on process and craftsmanship, the Surface brand inspires, informs, and entertains readers while pointing them to the next big ideas in global design—Surface remains a bastion of taste, talent, and trust. And we’re always curious. For the past three decades while continually adapting to new digital media platforms, Surface has upheld the values of high-quality digital and print journalism. Surface offers a robust digital newsroom focused on art and design news from around the globe, a daily Design Dispatch newsletter with the latest trends, exclusive series like How It’s Made and Studio Visits that take a deep-dive into an artist’s or brand’s world, and hard-hitting profiles—all with the goal of providing you with the latest and freshest content in art and design.APPLY